Rise of the Demigods
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Percy Jackson and the Olympians RPG site! Feel free to join, RPG, and chat~

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Current Season
~ SUMMER ~
Latest topics
» shot in the dark
Viridian's Guide To Grammar [UPDATED] Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2023 9:30 am by Andrew Night

» Long Island Sound
Viridian's Guide To Grammar [UPDATED] Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2019 10:54 pm by Goose

» Mess Hall for Eating
Viridian's Guide To Grammar [UPDATED] Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2018 7:03 pm by Sierra Kingsley

» The Lakeside
Viridian's Guide To Grammar [UPDATED] Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2018 8:53 pm by Kora Craven

» Dike Cabin
Viridian's Guide To Grammar [UPDATED] Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2018 1:05 am by Justin Henderson

» The Infirmary
Viridian's Guide To Grammar [UPDATED] Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2018 8:25 pm by Kora Craven

» Hecate Cabin
Viridian's Guide To Grammar [UPDATED] Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2018 6:52 pm by Kora Craven

» The Rock Climbing Wall
Viridian's Guide To Grammar [UPDATED] Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2018 8:08 pm by Kora Craven

»  The Trees
Viridian's Guide To Grammar [UPDATED] Icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2018 10:52 pm by Kora Craven

Top posting users this month
No user
BIG REMINDER
Viridian's Guide To Grammar [UPDATED] Icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2016 1:12 pm by feathertail
Just a quick reminder to all campers to reply to characters' bio forms when they are no longer in use as characters to let us know that fact so we can keep the collection up to date, and also to reply in the Faceclaim, Who's Who, and Cabin lists so that we can work as efficiently as possible!

Thank you,

The Admin Team

Comments: 2

Viridian's Guide To Grammar [UPDATED]

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Wishie
Retired Staff
Wishie

Character sheet
Name: Chelle Optasia
Godly Parent: Melinoe
Years of Camp:

Viridian's Guide To Grammar [UPDATED] Empty
PostSubject: Viridian's Guide To Grammar [UPDATED]   Viridian's Guide To Grammar [UPDATED] Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2014 1:01 am

I thought I'd give the whole forum a mini-lesson on grammar, because, honestly, y'all are terrible at grammar. Razz

JK, I wuv you all <3

I'm not going to go through the entire textbook. I'm just going to focus on the things I see occurring a lot, and I mean a lot. It's mildly annoying.

So I'm going to go ahead and assume that you are all older than ten and know how to capitalize. And even if you're younger than ten you should know how to capitalize. Heck, my five year old sister knows how to capitalize. Capitalization belongs at the beginning of a sentence and when dialogue starts, as well as proper nouns (people, places, and sometimes things and ideas).

Example of incorrect capitalization: viridian walked over to the bench. "hey," she greeted.

'viridian' should be capitalized, as well as 'i'm'. The word 'she' in that sentence does not need to be capitalized because it is in the middle of a sentence.

Example of correct capitalization: Viridian walked over to the bench. "Hey," she greeted.

Moving on. Commas are a thing that a lot of people seem to be having problems with. It's not that hard, guys. Commas are used in lists, dialogue, and sentences.

The most common problem I see on this forum is with dialogue.

Incorrect Example: "Hi" he said.

There should be a comma after "Hi" because it's correct grammar. It is also wrong if you put a period there.

Correct Example: "Hi," he said.

Moving on,  I'm going to combine these two concepts, because that's where I see the most wrong.

Incorrect Example: viridian walked down the beach trying not to cry. chris walked up to her. "whats wrong" he asked

We're trying to run a quality forum, guys. There should at least not be basic grammar issues like this.

'viridian' should be capitalized, and so should 'chris' because they're both proper nouns. Basic enough. 'whats' should also be capitalized because it's the beginning of some dialogue. 'he' is fine the way is it because it comes after dialogue.

For commas, this sentence is completely lacking in commas. There needs to be a comma after 'beach', and a comma after 'wrong'.

On a completely unrelated topic, though not too unrelated, I'm noticing that some people are either dropping their apostrophes, or don't know how to use them. And that's fine, but they do it all the time.

Contractions, like 'I'm' and 'what's' need to have an apostrophe. And I say need because they need the apostrophe.

Correct Example: Viridian walked down the beach, trying not to cry. Chris walked up to her and asked, "What's wrong?"

So I hope this post wasn't too long, but it needed to be said. It needed to be explained. I'm sorry. Y'all can get back to enjoying your weekends.

Your vengeance-driven loving moderator, Viridian

EDITS

People are still using 'lied' in the place of the proper word for the past tense of the verb 'to lie down'. It should be 'Logan lay down', not 'Logan lied down'.

Some are also capitalising words that do not need to be capitalised, or not capitalising enough/at all. Please note that this makes it hard to read and comprehend, and it doesn't take that much effort to make an effort with your posts.

This isn't so much of a grammar issue, but some members have been mistakenly using the name of other people's characters in their posts when referencing their own. Please read your post over and check that it makes sense before posting.

And last but not least, some members have been making the excuse that they're too tired, and/or are using mobile devices.
-If you're too tired to make your posts undertandable, please go to sleep and come back when you're rested. We don't want you to exhaust yourself.
-I'm sure lots of members use mobile devices, but it should have no effect on your posts. For example, Ella (Griffith) uses solely mobile devices save for when we're at school, and her posts are always perfectly grammatically correct. Yes, there are occasionally a few typos, but they are few and far between. I'm not saying stop using your mobile devices to come online, we love having you here, but it does not take much time to read over your post before you send; this is a quick-post rp site, yes, but it isn't a race to get the reply in before anyone else or as quickly as possible. Please take time to consider your posts and make sure they make sense.

Last updated 20th December by feathertail
Please contact Logan or Elli via PM if you wish to have something added to this Guide.

Last edited by feathertail on Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Update)
Back to top Go down
http://wishingwisteria.tumblr.com
feathertail

Character sheet
Name:
Godly Parent:
Years of Camp:

PostSubject: Re: Viridian's Guide To Grammar [UPDATED]   Viridian's Guide To Grammar [UPDATED] Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2015 8:41 pm

Just wanted to bump this up to people's attention - Please read all of the above!
Back to top Go down
Justin Henderson
Admin
Justin Henderson

Character sheet
Name: Logan Henderson
Godly Parent: Athena
Years of Camp: 6

PostSubject: Re: Viridian's Guide To Grammar [UPDATED]   Viridian's Guide To Grammar [UPDATED] Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2015 11:27 pm

Also, just proofread for misspellings, please. That red line exists for a reason. If it's there, then you probably spelled it wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Viridian's Guide To Grammar [UPDATED]   Viridian's Guide To Grammar [UPDATED] Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Viridian's Guide To Grammar [UPDATED]
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Rise of the Demigods :: Rules/Information/Etc. :: Guides-
Jump to: